The W.S. Porter Prize is awarded to recognize a masterfully written short story collection, while also honoring William Sydney Porter, a native born son of North Carolina and an accomplished short story writer who wrote under the pseudonym O. Henry.
Accepting submissions for the 2021 W. S. Porter Prize from September 1, 2021 – December 1, 2021.
Book publication by Regal House Publishing in 2023/4 and $1000 prize
The editors at Regal House Publishing will announce their longlist on January 30, 2022, and select a winner on February 15, 2022.
The 2020 W.S. Porter Prize winnner: Lisa Cupolo for Have Mercy on Us
Submissions are invited only through Submittable or by post mail. We do not have the staff capacity to read or respond to manuscripts that are submitted by fax or email.
*Submission fee: $25
*Please note that, without the submission fee, we would not be able to accept contest submissions, or to offer a $1000 prize to the winner. As Regal House Publishing is a small press with limited staff capacity, contest submission fees allow us to maintain sufficient editorial resources for careful review of each and every manuscript. We understand that submission fees can be difficult to accommodate, but rest assured that because of them, your submission will be carefully read, reviewed, and considered for this prize. Thank you for your understanding.
All physical manuscripts must be mailed (or postmarked) to the below Regal House Publishing address by December 1, 2020. Please be sure to include the entry form and the $25 entry fee with your submission. Send one copy of each manuscript. Make check or money orders payable to Regal House Publishing. Do not pay by cash or credit card.
Entrants must be at least 18 years of age.
Translations, previously published, and collaborative manuscripts are not eligible.
Employees and volunteers of Regal House Publishing, Pact Press, Fitzroy Books or The Regal House Initiative, their partners or spouses, their immediate families, or immediate family of the judge are not eligible.
- Minimum of 100 pages, maximum of 350 pages.
- At least 11pt. font
- The entries will have a blind reading, so please do NOT include name, address and telephone number anywhere in the body of the manuscript. DO include it in the Submittable cover letter form (or if by mail, include a separate cover letter with the above information.
- Do not send artwork or photographs.
- Paginate consecutively and include a table of contents
- Attach publications acknowledgments, if any.
- Please adhere strictly to contest dates. Neither late nor early manuscripts will be accepted.
- Contestants may submit the manuscript elsewhere simultaneously, but must notify Regal House Publishing immediately if a manuscript is accepted by another publisher.
- Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered. Winner will be given the opportunity to revise before publication.
- Contestants may submit more than one manuscript, but a separate entry fee and entry form must accompany each manuscript.
- Manuscripts mailed from foreign countries risk not being received before final selections have been made.
Suggested Guidelines for postal entries:
- Send manuscript in a plain or padded envelope. Please no boxes.
- Keep a copy of your manuscript, as manuscripts will not be returned.
- We advise that you send your manuscript by first class or priority mail.
Answers to FAQs:
- The winner will be announced on February 15, 2022.
- The winning manuscript will be published in 2023/4 in hardcover, paperback and ebook editions.
- The paper from all manuscripts will be recycled after the winner is announced.
- Regal House Publishing assumes no responsibility for loss of manuscripts.
Send manuscripts, postmarked between September 1, 2021 – December 1, 2021, to:
Regal House Publishing
ATTN: The W.S. Porter Prize
806 Oberlin Rd., #12094
Raleigh, NC 27605